Mold is an ever-present organism in every home and building, whether as spores or fuzzy microbial growth. The latter is more dangerous but is visible and, therefore, easier to find and remove. Unfortunately, mold has a propensity to grow in hidden areas like behind the drywall, underneath sinks, and in the roof. In these spaces, mold can thrive and spread undetected for a long time. It inflicts structural damage and harms people’s and even animals’ health. 


Mold remediation is a must and should be performed as soon as you detect any microbial growth. But if mold tends to grow unseen, how do you find out if you have an infestation in your home? 


Here are some red flags to watch out for that could indicate the presence of mold growing in your home:


Recent Flooding


Any incident of indoor flooding increases the chances of microbial growth. It only takes 72 hours after water contact for mold spores to develop into the fuzzy growth we recognize as mold. Therefore, if you still see traces of moisture on your floors, walls, baseboards, and furniture two days after an indoor flood, there’s a good chance that mold and mildew will form in those areas.


Musty Odors


Mold has a damp, musty odor that is unmistakable. You will know the moment you smell it that it is different from the other scents you often encounter in an average home. It is the most telling sign that mold is thriving in your home.


The only problem with using odor as a red flag is you could get used to it as the mold spreads. It’s like the frog in a hot pot analogy: slow exposure to its scent makes you familiar with it, so it may no longer register as a red flag. If a guest or visitor to your home comments on a musty odor in your home, be alert and on the lookout for other signs of mold. 


Increasing Occurrence of Mold Allergy Symptoms


It’s a widely known fact that prolonged exposure to mold can adversely affect a person’s health. Individuals react differently to mold; while some are unaffected when they touch mold, others cannot stay in an infested room without sneezing or coughing. In extreme cases, people with severe allergic reactions to mold experience shortness of breath and painful chest tightness.


Here are other symptoms people who are sensitive to mold might experience:


  • Itchy sensation on the eyes, nose, and skin
  • Redness of the eyes
  • Stuffy or runny nose
  • Inflamed sinuses
  • Asthmatic attack in people who suffer from it


If people who visit your home experience these symptoms, or if your household experiences these with increasing frequency, it could mean that you have substantial mold thriving undetected in your home. It’s best to call a mold remediation specialist as quickly as possible to find and remove the mold.


Gradual Discoloration of Walls or Ceilings


When microbial growth has grown extensively, it will inevitably become more visible. For example, discoloration and unmistakable dark spots would eventually emerge if the infestation started behind drywall. 


More often than not, mold results from water making its way indoors because of faulty plumbing, drainage systems, and natural calamity. So if you notice signs of water damage anywhere in your home, those areas could also be sites for microbial growth.


Consult Dependable Mold Damage Restoration Experts in Metro Detroit


Locating mold in your home when you notice signs of its presence is just the first step. More importantly, the next step is getting rid of the mold and preventing it from growing in your home again.


Restoration 1 of Metro Detroit’s mold remediation specialists can verify the presence of mold in your home. Most importantly, they have the equipment and qualifications to remove the growth safely. Mold removal must be done the right way to prevent spores from spreading and growing elsewhere indoors. Restoration 1 can do this and provide preventive measures to protect your home and family.


Contact Restoration 1 of Metro Detroit for more information on their mold damage restoration services.