Mold is a type of fungi that grows both indoors and outdoors. When mold grows outdoors, it acts as a decomposer to help break down organic matter. However, when it grows in the house, it poses various health risks to you and your family. You will most likely find mold in dark, warm, damp, and humid places in your house, such as under sinks, in bathrooms, basements, and around plumbing pipes. Mold can also be prevalent in attics due to unaddressed roof leaks and excess moisture. Unfortunately, it’s hard to detect mold damage in your Metro Detroit home if you don’t know what to look for. Below are some signs that indicate you or your family may be suffering from mold exposure and some helpful tips on how to act fast and fix the situation.
Signs of Mold Damage to Look Out For
Common signs that you might have mold damage in your house include:
- Mold Odor: Mold gives off a musty odor, like the smell of old books. If you’ve noticed this smell, it might mean you have a mold infestation in your home.
- Signs of Water Damage: Water damage produces moisture, which is the perfect condition for mold to grow and thrive. Water stains and discoloration of your walls or other surfaces might be a sign of mold.
- Past Flooding: If you have experienced flooding in your home in the past, this will give room for possible water damage, and ultimately mold growth.
Symptoms of Mold Exposure
Mold exposure affects people differently. Some people may experience severe symptoms if exposed to mold for long periods.
- Eye irritation: Mold releases spores that can get into the eyes and cause irritation and redness.
- Skin irritation: Mold spores can also cause skin redness and itchiness. The skin inside your nose may also react to mold and mold spores by producing more mucus, causing a runny nose or sneezing.
- Shortness of breath: People who suffer from allergies can have difficulty breathing when they come into contact with mold spores. Prolonged mold exposure can easily aggravate asthma or trigger an attack, especially in children, older adults, and people with allergies.
- Sore throat: Mold exposure can also cause a sore throat, coughing, and wheezing, as the spores irritate the larynx and cause swelling.
If you have experienced health complications and allergic reactions due to mold, seek medical help immediately and get an expert restoration company to assess your home.
Why You Need Mold Remediation Services
Mold remediation services are necessary when you notice signs of mold in your home. Be proactive and take the following steps:
- Get a plumber to fix any damaged pipes to prevent further leaks and stop additional damage to your property.
- Call for a professional mold inspection and remediation service like Restoration 1 of Metro Detroit.
Mold remediation is best left in the hands of a professional, but some Metro Detroit homeowners choose to go the DIY route. When dealing with mold, always wear protective clothing, a mask or respirator, goggles, rubber boots, and gloves. You don’t want the mold to touch any part of your body or allow the spores to get into your eyes or respiratory system. You can also wear a mold-resistant suit or disposable clothing if you are dealing with a significant mold infestation. Read our recent blog post here to find out more about DIY mold removal versus professional mold remediation.
Working with Professionals
Mold can be hazardous, especially when left unchecked. An expert property restoration and mold remediation service will help you eliminate mold completely without having to worry about recurrence. At Restoration 1 of Metro Detroit, we use the following when eliminating mold from your property:
- EPA-Approved Antimicrobial Agents: This family of mold-killing antifungals is often not sold to the general public. They are crucial in killing mold and preventing their growth and should only be used by trained professionals.
- Air-Filtration Devices: These prevent mold spores from spreading. They isolate mold spores and destroy them.
- HEPA Vacuum: High-Efficiency Particulate Air vacuums trap allergens. Industrial-quality HEPA vacuums recover mold spores more effectively than commercial models.
Not only do we have the experience, but we also have all the right tools, equipment, and knowledge for complete mold remediation. If you suspect you have a mold infestation, reach out to Restoration 1 of Metro Detroit today and get your home mold-free in no time!