5 min read
A house fire can be a devastating experience. However, even as homeowners are physically and emotionally shaken, they are faced with the daunting task of restoration and cleanup after a fire in an East Texas property.
From assessing the extent of the destruction to salvaging what can be saved and disposing of debris, cleaning up after a fire goes beyond mere tidying. Here are the steps to pick up the pieces and overcome this challenging time.
What Should You Do Immediately After a Fire?
A fire can break out for various reasons. If it’s a minor fire, you can put it out with a fire extinguisher. However, for larger fires or if you’re unable to operate a fire extinguisher, you should first evacuate anyone and your pets from the property before calling your local fire department. These are the following steps:
- Contact Your Insurance Company: Notify your insurance provider about the fire. They will guide you through the documents and other requirements you must submit to file your claim.
- Call a Restoration Company: Services for fire restoration in East Texas can help you pick up the pieces and restore your damaged property as soon as possible. After firefighters have assessed your home, technicians can perform the necessary steps to prevent further damage.
- Secure Your Home: Depending on the severity of the fire, firefighters and restoration technicians may recommend staying in alternate accommodations until your home is restored. Reach out to relatives, friends, and local organizations for assistance. Let your restoration team handle securing your home against potential theft.
- Document the Damage: Take photos of the damage for your insurance claims. Your restoration technicians can do this for you, especially if your home isn’t safe to enter.
- Contact Your Utility Companies: Ask your utility providers to temporarily disconnect their services until your home is safe to occupy.
Repairing Structural Damage
The best way to ensure your household’s safety from the effects of structural damage is to work with a restoration company that provides fire restoration in East Texas. The construction and repairs needed to restore your home can vary depending on how severe the fire was and its effects on your property and belongings. However, you can expect technicians to conduct the following:
- Fire Damage Restoration: Assessing the visible damage and the potential structural damage the fire caused.
- Water Extraction: If the fire triggered the fire sprinklers or if water was used to extinguish the fire, the restoration team will use various drying techniques to minimize water damage.
- Smoke Damage Restoration: Specialized techniques are used to eliminate smoke odors and contaminants from affected surfaces, furniture, and belongings.
- Content Cleaning and Pack-Out Restoration: Restoration teams will clean and restore salvageable personal belongings affected by fire, smoke, or water damage.
Restoration companies may initiate the rebuilding process once the damaged areas are cleaned, dried, and stabilized. This involves replacing damaged materials, rebuilding structures, and restoring the property to its pre-fire condition. They may also provide additional measures against fire and water damage. They also handle repairing and finishing the aesthetic parts of your home.
Salvaging Your Household’s Belongings
Rather than exerting the physical and emotional effort of salvaging your home’s belongings, letting your restoration technicians handle it is more practical and efficient. On top of recovering your belongings, they can also document the damage to unsalvageable items for your insurance claims.
During property restoration after a fire, the home’s belongings undergo a thorough assessment and cleaning process. Salvageable items are carefully removed and taken to a separate facility for cleaning and restoration. They are cleaned using specialized techniques to remove soot, smoke, and water damage. Damaged items that cannot be restored are listed for insurance claims.
Once the restoration is complete, cleaned and restored belongings are returned to the home, bringing it as close to its pre-fire condition as possible. Additional fire cleanup services in East Texas ensure your home is safe to use.
Cleaning After a Fire: When Is the Best Time to Clean?
While you may be eager to return to your home, it’s best to wait until after the restoration. Your restoration team will let you know when your home has no structural hazards. By that point, they should have already handled the salvaging process, so items you can keep will have already been cleaned.
Many restoration companies also provide fire cleanup services in East Texas. Hiring professional cleaning services ensures that all the smoke, soot, and fire residue are properly removed. This is done through specialized equipment and cleaning products designed to tackle fire damage.
Trust Restoration 1’s Services for Fire Restoration in East Texas
Dealing with the cleanup after a fire in East Texas is an arduous task that requires patience, strength, and support. While the physical and emotional toll may feel overwhelming, remember that the process can be more straightforward for you and your family with the right team providing dependable service.
Contact Restoration 1 of East Texas at (903) 419-0161 for fast and responsive restoration and fire cleanup services in East Texas.