4 min read
Remodeling, renovation, and restoration in Chicago North Shore are all terms associated with construction and repair. These terms are often used interchangeably to refer to construction projects that improve the condition of a piece of property.
While they seem to have similar outputs, these terms fundamentally differ in terms of project requirements, scope, and goals. Therefore, before beginning work on construction projects on your commercial or residential property, it is crucial to understand these differences, as they can dictate your project’s overall direction and output.
Learn the terms and get started on your next project right away by learning their fundamental differences below.
What is a Restoration?
Restoration is a process that involves returning a building to its original condition. It’s commonly used to maintain a building’s structural integrity and preserve its cultural and historical significance in some cases. However, it can also be applied to modern buildings that have been recently damaged. For instance, a flooded home can rely upon home restoration in Chicago North Shore to bring it back to its original condition.
The main goal of a restoration project is to improve the condition of an old or damaged building while preserving its original features. This includes the building’s original form and inside features. In most cases, restoration projects will use the original materials for the restoration project in order to remain authentic.
Key Points to Consider:
- A restoration project will not alter the building’s original form and function.
- It uses fewer resources, and less energy as most of the building’s original features will remain intact.
- Most restoration services perform spot repairs to fix damaged areas, especially after Chicago North Shore home damage.
What is a Renovation?
A renovation improves a building’s original condition without significantly altering its original design. This can involve replacing and upgrading its current features and components for an upgraded look. For instance, you may be looking to replace an old countertop, flooring materials, or kitchen cabinets, which will require a renovation.
Renovation projects aim to increase the property’s value by providing a fresh look to its features. A renovation is more concerned about aesthetics than anything else and usually requires a heftier budget than simple restoration in Chicago North Shore.
When considering a renovation project, make sure to account for the building’s age, condition, and structure to avoid potential problems in the process. Consult an expert to assess your property and see if renovations can be done.
Key Points to Consider:
- Renovation projects are primarily done for aesthetic reasons.
- Renovations are a great way to improve your property’s value without significantly altering its structure, function, and integrity.
- Consider a renovation project if you’re happy with the layout of your property and are simply looking for a fresh, upgraded look.
What is a Remodel?
Remodeling means making significant alterations to your property and transforming its layout and structure. It involves projects that change the look, feel, and function of a room, which includes:
- Adding a new plumbing system to make way for additional fixtures.
- Installing new heating and cooling ducts for zoned heating and cooling capabilities around your property.
- Expanding the size of a room or other portion of your property.
- Raising the ceiling height.
- Creating new boundaries by adding new walls.
Among all three project types mentioned in this blog, remodeling is the most expensive as it requires significantly more materials, as well as the services of a contractor, plumber, electrician, and architect. It can also take considerable time to complete, so make sure to consider your budget, resources, and time before pursuing a remodeling project.
Key Points to Consider:
- Aside from new constructions, a remodeling project is the costliest project you can undertake as it takes considerable time and money.
- It requires the most involvement and can significantly alter your property’s layout.
Get Professional Help With Restoration in Chicago North Shore
While renovation and remodeling projects require significant planning, some situations that call for restoration services may arise at any moment’s notice. This is especially true after unfortunate incidents that damage your property. When you require home restoration in Chicago North Shore, call the professionals at Restoration 1 to restore your property to its original condition as soon as possible. Call Restoration 1 of Chicago North Shore today!