One step in restoring your property after a devastating fire is salvaging your possessions. In some cases, your belongings didn’t sustain damage, and all they need is minor cleaning or repairs before they can be reused. However, if an item is beyond repair or has sustained damage and your insurance covers its replacement, you could opt to have your belongings replaced.
Your restoration company can help you with this step during fire damage restoration. Once your professional technician has given you the signal to enter the premises, here are some steps you can take to help with the salvaging and smoke damage restoration process.
What Happens During Smoke Damage Restoration in San Fernando Valley?
The smoke and fire damage restoration process can vary between providers. However, there should ideally be a systematic approach to handling fire damage. Before you can enter to salvage your belongings, technicians conduct the following steps:
- Visual Assessment: Technicians scope the fire and smoke damage on the property. This doesn’t include the potential damage within your property structure and only consists of a visual inspection of the immediate damage that could pose risks during restoration.
- Air Quality Testing: Using specialized equipment, technicians will check for smoke particles, combustion by-products, and other substances that could be in the air. On top of keeping technicians safe from inhalation, it’s used to detect areas affected by smoke.
- Damage Documentation: Your technicians can document the damage to your property for both insurance claims and restoration plans. Documentation for both fire and smoke damage can depend on which service you’ve opted for. For example, service for smoke damage restoration in San Fernando Valley means documenting only smoke-related damage.
- Customized Restoration Plans: After assessing the damage, your technicians will create a custom plan for restoring your property.
What You Can Do Before Fire Damage Restoration Begins
Once your property has been assessed and deemed safe to enter by a professional, you can start going through your belongings. Depending on who you hire for smoke damage restoration in San Fernando Valley, you can have a technician help you evaluate which belongings can be restored and which ones are more practical to replace.
Here are some tips to help you with salvaging:
- Contact Your Insurance Provider: Start the claims process by contacting your insurance provider immediately after a fire. They can advise you on the next steps to take. Additionally, having your insurance policy file can help you review the maximum claim you can receive. This can give you an idea of how much you can replace.
- Seek Professional Evaluation: A professional restoration technician assisting you with salvaging your belongings can make the process more efficient. They can evaluate which belongings can be salvaged and which ones are better disposed of and replaced. They can also assist you with your insurance claims.
- Document Your Process: Taking photos and videos of the process can help with your insurance claim. If your insurance coverage also covers replacing the belongings in your property, documenting the damage can help you maximize your claim.
- Minimize Your Time Indoors Before Cleanup: Smoke and soot can contain combustion by-products. These pose a risk to your health, especially if you have existing respiratory conditions. Minimize your time inside the property before your restoration company begins cleanup and the restoration process.
- Avoid DIY Smoke and Soot Cleanup: Some property owners will attempt DIY solutions for removing visible smoke and soot, such as scrubbing walls with commercial products. However, this won’t get rid of the particles in the air. Moisture can also cause the soot to set into the paint, making it harder to restore the property. Leave it to the professionals to remove all traces of the fire from your property.
Trust Restoration 1 for Efficient Smoke and Fire Damage Restoration in San Fernando Valley
Without any experience in property restoration, it can be difficult to determine the extent of damage a fire has caused. Instead of cleaning up the damage and exposing yourself to health and safety risks, it’s best to leave it to the professionals who can ensure your safety and restore your property to its original state.
For reliable technicians who can assist you with salvaging your property and belongings, Restoration 1 of San Fernando Valley is your trusted restoration company. Give us a call to start the restoration process as soon as possible.