4 min read
The existence of mold is a threat to all homeowners looking to keep their families safe and protect the integrity of their homes. Aside from being unsightly, mold can lead to an array of health issues, such as respiratory infections and skin allergies.
But while mold on your may be easier to detect, those growing underneath often remain under the radar until they cause irreparable damage.
This blog shares tips on detecting mold in walls and what you need to do after discovering mold on your walls.
How to Detect Mold in the Walls
Checking for mold in or behind your walls is a highly invasive process. San Antonio North mold remediation experts recommend inspecting your home for mold regularly prevent costly repairs. With this, here are some signs to look out for to determine whether mold is growing in the walls:
Signs of Microbial Growth
- Musty Odor. The odor produced by mold is unique and is best described as a musty smell. This smell can permeate any location, with the smell getting more potent as the degree of contamination increases.
- Visible Stains. Look for discolorations present as yellow, green, brown, or black spots.
- Dampness. Mold and water damage often go hand in hand. If you see any spots on your wall damaged by water, you can almost always expect to see small mold colonies growing on the surface.
- Peeling or Cracking. Dry wallpaper or paint on a wall doesn’t peel or crack unless moisture causes the wall to warp. If you see peeling or cracking on your wall, you may be dealing with a leak, which causes mold to grow.
Checking for Mold in Walls
If you spot these signs of microbial growth, it’s time to check underneath to get a peak at the bigger picture. To do this, cut out squares with six-inch sides using a utility knife.
Don’t use a power saw, as the vibrations might dislodge spores and cause them to spread if mold is indeed present. Use a long-handled mirror and a flashlight to look for mold inside.
Look in other places by cutting out similar-sized squares in other areas, so you don’t overlook spots with small amounts of mold. But to make your search more comprehensive while minimizing damage to your drywall, seek help from a professional San Antonio North mold remediation company.
What to Do When You Discover Mold in the Walls
Mold growing behind the walls is an immediate cause for concern as it can put your and your family’s health at risk. That’s why when you discover mold behind your drywall, it must be removed and replaced immediately.
- Drywall Removal. During drywall and mold removal, be careful while removing the material to prevent the accidental spread of mold spores around your home. Wear proper safety equipment like gloves, masks, and goggles as you cut out sections of the drywall.Place any debris inside heavy plastic trash bags and double bag them, especially when dealing with moldy materials, as you carry them outside for disposal.
- HEPA Vacuuming. Use High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) vacuums to remove settled dust deposits in and around the area. Vacuum the exposed studs, joists, and everything in between for complete bacteria and mold removal.
- Disinfection. In order to prevent the regrowth and spread of mold, the area must be disinfected with a cleaning solution that contains sufficient anti-microbial properties. Use a cloth dampened with the product to wipe surfaces clean for small spaces. For larger areas, use a garden sprayer to complete the disinfection in less time.
Note: the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends an area of 10 square feet (a little over 3 x 3 ft) as the threshold for determining if mold removal can be done safely on your own.
If your mold problem exceeds this threshold, the EPA suggests that you obtain professional-level safety and cleanup equipment or enlist the help of a professional San Antonio North mold remediation team.
Eliminate Your Mold Problem with Restoration 1
Mold inside your walls is a sign of a more serious problem that should not be taken lightly. Dealing with mold problems when it’s beyond your DIY capabilities may only aggravate your mold problems due to insufficient, incomplete, or incorrect treatment.
You don’t have to face your mold issues alone. If you’re faced with a significant mold problem, call Restoration 1 of San Antonio North immediately. Keep your family safe while we do all the heavy lifting to eliminate your mold problem entirely and securely.