October is here, which means Halloween is right around the corner. For homeowners, nothing could be scarier than a poltergeist in the basement, a boogeyman in your kid’s closet, and a sewage disaster causing a flood in your home.
While we unfortunately can’t help you with the first two, Restoration 1 is well-equipped to help you with the last one through sewage cleanup and restoration. Sewage cleanup is undoubtedly a challenging and unpleasant task no homeowner hopes to face. With the right sewage cleanup services, you can get your property back to a livable condition and ensure your neighborhood kids get a scare from your Halloween decorations – and not the odor and grime wafting from your damaged property.
What Are Sewer Backups and What Causes Sewer Blockages?
Sewer backups occur when wastewater or sewage from toilets, drains, and other plumbing fixtures flows back into a building rather than being carried away through the sewer system. This can cause significant property damage from water damage and contamination from the dirt and organic matter from the wastewater, which can have several health risks.
Several factors can cause sewer blockages, leading to backups:
- Aging Sewer Systems: Older homes may have outdated drainage designs that can lead to accumulated sewage and blockages.
- Tree Roots: Tree roots can find their way into your sewer pipes as they are attracted to the pipes’ moisture, which can cause cracks that can leak wastewater onto your property and damage your property’s connection to the sewer line.
- Pipe Clogs: A build-up of grease, fats, oils, hair, food scraps, baby wipes, diapers, sanitary products, and other materials can gradually cause a blockage in your drainage system.
- Heavy Rain and Flooding: Heavy rainfall, floods, and melting snow could overwhelm the sewer line and cause a backup.
- Sewer Backup: If there are issues in the sewer line, it can lead to the wastewater overflowing into the lowest opening, which could be a drain opening on your property.
Why You Need Professional Sewage Cleanup Services
Experiencing sewer backup in your home might come as a surprise. However, after the damage has been done, you now have to deal with cleaning up. You might be tempted to clean up the mess on your property on your own, but there are plenty of reasons why sewage damage cleanup is best left to the professionals:
- Health and Safety: What lingers in your sewer line is just as mysterious as that neighbor who you’re pretty sure might be a vampire. There could be decayed organic materials that spread pathogens onto the wastewater, which poses several risks. Professional sewage damage cleanup is done with the necessary protective gear to remove sewage and contaminated materials that can’t be salvaged.
- Proper Disinfection: Compared to your everyday cleaning supplies, professional sewage cleanup and restoration service providers have the chemicals and equipment necessary to disinfect your spaces. This also includes the deeper parts of your home where wastewater could have seeped into and caused water damage.
- Prevent Water Damage and Mold: Sewage backup can cause extensive damage to your belongings and property structure. Working with a restoration company offering sewage cleanup and restoration mitigates the risk of further damage and mold issues even after the wastewater is removed.
- Insurance Claims: While sewage repair isn’t usually covered, sewage backup is often covered by insurance policies for residential properties. Your restoration company can help you document the damage to help strengthen your insurance claim.
How Much Would Sewage Cleanup Services Cost?
It ultimately depends on factors like cleanup, the volume of wastewater, and the repairs needed. On average, the cost of sewer backup cleanup can range from $7 to $14. Add in the repairs, comprehensive cleanup, and restoration costs, and you could be looking at $2,000 to $10,000. How much you would have to pay out of pocket will depend on how much your insurance will cover.
Trust Restoration 1 for Your Sewage Damage Cleanup Needs
Efficient sewage cleanup services can bring your property back to normal in case of a sewage backup. With Restoration 1, you can lift your spirits this Halloween season and look forward to the holidays for the upcoming months when you leave your property restoration and cleanup needs to a trustworthy service provider. Our 24/7 responsive line ensures a certified technician handles your property immediately after a frightening sewage backup.
Contact Restoration 1 today for exceptional restoration solutions.